Author Topic: muffler FAQ  (Read 1768 times)

Liz

• Administrator
muffler FAQ
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:38:24 PM »
Q: My car is older. Lately, it seems to be getting noisier. How do I know if my muffler went bad?

A: Your car’s exhaust system is pretty complex. Excess noise could be from a number of sources in the exhaust system including cracks or
holes in manifolds, gaskets, pipes or the muffler itself. To find out for sure where the noise is coming from, just stop by your local Midas. We can not only find it, we can fix it, too.

Q: How do mufflers actually work? Are mufflers made of special soundproof material?

A: Your exhaust system – and the muffler in particular – is very sophisticated, although you can’t really appreciate it just looking under your car. If you were to
cut it open you would likely find what looks to be a bundle of metal tubes with holes in them. And while they might look simple, inside the muffler these tubes work together
to force sound waves to hit one another in very precise ways, canceling the sound in the process. With all this hidden engineering, it’s no wonder mufflers can’t be a one-size-fits-all
replacement part.

Q: Besides excess noise and rough idling, what are some other things I need to watch out for with my car’s exhaust system?

A: Excessive rust or broken rubber hangers can cause mufflers, pipes, and other parts of the exhaust system to hang extremely low or break, and that
can be hazardous, especially to folks driving behind you. However, these aren’t always things that can be easily assetsetsessed by just peeking under your car. As a rule,
we recommend having your exhaust system professionally inspected at least once a year.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5